Who we are
We’re Mosaic 1898, a Leicester-based charity that’s been around since Victorian times when local businessman, Arthur Isaac Groves, founded the ‘Guild of the Crippled’ to tackle isolation within the local disabled community.
What we do
Our name may be different, but our commitment to promoting inclusion isn’t. Today, we continue to offer a wide range of support services to disabled people across Leicestershire, including accessible activities and holidays, care visits, support with direct payments, advocacy groups, and advice.
Supporting over 1,000 disabled people every week from Leicester and Leicestershire
Employing over 100 staff and have the support of over 70 wonderful volunteers
Running 12 different Services for disabled people
2 fully accessible and adapted Holiday Cottages at Overstrand, near Cromer, Norfolk
Running sailing groups for disabled people at Watermead Country Park
Offering trips on the River Soar in Sunbeam II, our accessible widebeam boat
Why we do it
So much has changed throughout our long history, and yet disabled people all over the world continue to face prejudice, discrimination, isolation, and other inequalities.
Our team of more than 100 employees and volunteers work tirelessly to challenge those inequalities, creating meaningful opportunities and independence for as many people as possible within the communities we support.
Mosaic 1898, a disability charity, enhancing lives and making a difference.
2018: Sunbeam II, our accessible widebeam boat, launched by the High Sheriff of Leicestershire
2017: Mosaic begins it's first dedicated employment project, supporting disabled people back into work
2010: Mosaic’s Head Office relocates to custom-built property at Oak Spinney Park, Leicester Forest East. This building also hosts some of our Day Services and has a Changing Places fully accessible bathroom facility.
2000: Mosaic: shaping disability services name is created, renamed from the Guild of Disabled People.
1926: The Guild builds Cropston Holiday Home, specifically for disabled people.
1916: Queen Alexandria Industrial Training Hall opens next the Guild Hall.
1909: The Guild raises over £6,000 to design and build the Guild Hall.
1898: Guild of the Crippled is formed.