Volunteering at mosaicWhat can you do as a Volunteer?
Do you have some spare time and would like to help in your community but are unsure what opportunities are available? Perhaps you think that your skills and interests are not likely to be in demand; take a look at our opportunities, you might be pleasantly surprised …
Are you physically fit and agile; would you like to help with swimming or at the gym?
- Activ8 We are recruiting volunteers now who would like to support our customers to take part in swimming or gym sessions.
The Activ8 group takes place at Aylestone Leisure Centre on Mondays between 10am and 3pm. Volunteers will be trained in moving and handling to be able to support the customers safely and must be able to swim. Volunteers will also be working with a small staff team. If you are interested in volunteering with the group please contact us.
Do you like being outdoors?
- Sailability enables disabled people to go sailing. Are you available on a Tuesday from April to October? You don’t have to be a sailor, although this would be useful for taking customers sailing, other opportunities include operating the safety boat, assist customers to get ready and get in and out of the boats, getting the boats ready and putting them away.
- Sunbeam is our fully accessible narrowboat, also running from April to October. She takes groups of people out for day trips. You don’t have to be familiar with narrowboats, just be happy to help, work the locks, and operate a kettle.
- Gardening Project Volunteers needed now. You don’t have to have green fingers, but a passion for growing would be an advantage. If this is something you fancy, would you like to help support our customers to get out in the garden?
However, if you think you would be suited to something less active…
Are you interested in helping older people?
- Helping the elderly to ‘keep in touch’ Are you computer literate? Would you be interested in helping elderly and disabled people to keep in touch with their family and friends through the internet? We are looking for willing volunteers for this new and exciting project who have at least a basic understanding of computers, although this is not essential as we can send you on a computer training course. The project will require you to visit customers in their own homes and show them how to use the internet to keep in touch with their family and friends, and thus help them feel less isolated.
- Meet & Eat helping isolated people to get out. This is a brand new project helping to combat isolation for the older disabled person. The project will involve people meeting for lunch, and an activity such as going to a supermarket or garden centre etc. Volunteers will help people with their shopping, fetching their meals or whatever the person needs.
- Drivers As we get the Meet & Eat project established we require volunteer drivers in the Market Harborough and Desford areas. In order to get the project off the ground it would be great to have people to pick up and drive the customers to their lunch and activity. If you find you have some time to spare, have a car and would like to help people access the Meet & Eat project as outlined above, please give Suzy a call as soon as possible.
- Are you familiar with filling in forms? We all know how daunting it can be completing complicated benefit forms for the first time. We are looking for people to visit customers in their own homes and help them to fill in benefit forms, full training will be provided.
- Are you good with figures? Do you have some knowledge of payroll, invoicing, or anything to do with numbers? If so, we could do with your help.
- Trustees If you have a disability and are business minded you might like to consider becoming a Trustee of mosaic. This is quite a demanding role and not for the feint hearted!